Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Week 5 (a little bit late)

Hey everyone. I apologize for posting in the middle of the week – but I was confused and only wrote one blog last week when I was supposed to write two (one for observation and one for week 5).
So, since for my observation, I wrote about a lot of good things – I will talk about one bad thing that happened to me last week.
Well, finally, my one period that I’ve talked about before – the one with the huge mixture of kids – blew up. Four of the boys were failing the class for not taking their Accelerated Reader test. Also, right before they walked in to the class, they were bullying some little boy and ripping his stuff out of his hands and kicking his binder down the hall. First, this is a big deal because they are advanced students so none of them should be failing. Secondly, I had them in the computer lab and bugged them about taking the test and they said that they did. And, thirdly, they also lied to my face by saying that they took them. My co-op punished them by putting them on the “packet” which is what the kids who can’t pass the AR tests have to do – just extra work to make sure that they are reading. I was absolutely livid. If there is one thing that I can’t stand in this world – it is a liar! AHHH! So I moved their seats and gave them a big speech about cheating and lying. Overall, the class has started to become manageable. Now, I am faced with the question that has always been staring me in the face and I’ve never wanted to answer – Are advanced students treated differently than “regular” students?
I would love to hear, have any of you had a classroom management situation where you wanted to rip your hair out? Or scream? Or possibly throw yourself out a window?

2 comments:

  1. Jenna,

    From my past blogs, I'm sure you know that I've had days where I stand in disbelief at the rudeness or lack of effort from some students.

    I feel like even though we covered classroom management in Methods, we weren't prepared for the kids who just refuse to do anything. But then again, there is no way to really prepare for that... it's like baptism through fire.

    I realize now that some days of teaching are fantasic, while others are really tough. I think it is something we will just get better at dealing with in time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had quite that extreme of classroom management but I completely agree that it is frustrating angry. That annoys me just hearing about it. Most of my classroom managment is minor because my students are very well behaved. I think the best you can do is to keep letting them know who is in charge and making sure that there are consequences for what they're doing (like changing their seats).

    Fear not about the blog in the middle of the week. I didn't realize we were supposed to do 2 separate ones either and so I only did one. Oops.

    I hope next week goes better for you in terms of classroom management. Good luck and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete