This week has gone really well (except for the fact that I have a VERY bad cold). Anyway, I wasn’t really sure what to talk about: LFS, lesson plans, classroom management… But, I think I want to focus on how all of these things come together = aka a very good day and I had one this week!
My very good day was Tuesday, when I started a new lesson on personification. I started planning my lesson by thinking of how I could differentiate (which is one of my downfalls). I tried to incorporate movement, writing, drawing, and speaking. So, then I thought about LFS and I thought: review.
My lesson started with a poem by Shel Silverstein called “The Furniture Bash.” I chose that poem because it is fun and many of my kids love Shel Silverstein and also because the poem has tons of personification. I read the poem out loud and had students guess what we were going to learn about. Many of them guessed personification right away (which helped me gage their prior learning). Then we moved on to a Frayer. I had already used a Frayer twice and the kids really liked it and I like the routine of doing mostly the same thing. I could tell that the lower-level students really liked the Frayers because they could use examples and draw and I think they liked the routine of using the same graphic organizers again. It gave them a sense of ownership.
After the Frayers, I used different poems on the board and we went through them with the students raising one of three different colored papers to indicated simile, metaphor, or personification in the poem. I had never used that activity before but I really liked it because I could see what each individual student was thinking. Then we moved on to previewing three different poems in the text book that we were going to be working with that day. For my lower level classes, we just read the poems out loud and went over difficult vocabulary but for my academic classes we went more in-depth with the poems. From there I made a graphic organizer for students to fill out with similes, metaphors, and personification from the poems (“Students can’t learn without graphic organizers!” – LFS). I gave directions (very detailed with examples – I’m getting better at it!) then students had time to complete the graphic organizer with their partners.
Our last task was a creative representation of a time in one of the poems when the poet used personification. I made an example of a sun painting a picture of a desert because the poem said, “The Sun paints the desert…” The students had so much fun with their projects and I wish I could show all of them to you.
I didn’t have too many classroom management problems because I kept the class flowing. Which reminds me, I finally experienced flow in my class! It was great!
So, I guess the moral of my story today is that I had never realized how much “stuff” goes in to planning and performing a lesson! But I’m starting to catch on and it’s going well!
This week has gone really well (except for the fact that I have a VERY bad cold). Anyway, I wasn’t really sure what to talk about: LFS, lesson plans, classroom management… But, I think I want to focus on how all of these things come together = aka a very good day and I had one this week!
My very good day was Tuesday, when I started a new lesson on personification. I started planning my lesson by thinking of how I could differentiate (which is one of my downfalls). I tried to incorporate movement, writing, drawing, and speaking. So, then I thought about LFS and I thought: review.
My lesson started with a poem by Shel Silverstein called “The Furniture Bash.” I chose that poem because it is fun and many of my kids love Shel Silverstein and also because the poem has tons of personification. I read the poem out loud and had students guess what we were going to learn about. Many of them guessed personification right away (which helped me gage their prior learning). Then we moved on to a Frayer. I had already used a Frayer twice and the kids really liked it and I like the routine of doing mostly the same thing. I could tell that the lower-level students really liked the Frayers because they could use examples and draw and I think they liked the routine of using the same graphic organizers again. It gave them a sense of ownership.
After the Frayers, I used different poems on the board and we went through them with the students raising one of three different colored papers to indicated simile, metaphor, or personification in the poem. I had never used that activity before but I really liked it because I could see what each individual student was thinking. Then we moved on to previewing three different poems in the text book that we were going to be working with that day. For my lower level classes, we just read the poems out loud and went over difficult vocabulary but for my academic classes we went more in-depth with the poems. From there I made a graphic organizer for students to fill out with similes, metaphors, and personification from the poems (“Students can’t learn without graphic organizers!” – LFS). I gave directions (very detailed with examples – I’m getting better at it!) then students had time to complete the graphic organizer with their partners.
Our last task was a creative representation of a time in one of the poems when the poet used personification. I made an example of a sun painting a picture of a desert because the poem said, “The Sun paints the desert…” The students had so much fun with their projects and I wish I could show all of them to you.
I didn’t have too many classroom management problems because I kept the class flowing. Which reminds me, I finally experienced flow in my class! It was great!
So, I guess the moral of my story today is that I had never realized how much “stuff” goes in to planning and performing a lesson! But I’m starting to catch on and it’s going well!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenna-glad to hear that your week went well and that you achieved flow. It's evident from your post that you are performing well and that you're enjoying your placement. I'd love to see your students projects and if you still have them in a few weeks when we have our student teaching seminar meeting bring them along!Your lesson sounds like it was really well scaffolded and sequenced. I like the incorporation of the Shel Silverstein poems. I really like his work and I'm looking forward to incoporating it into my own classroom one day. Another thing I really liked was the idea of students voting with different colors of paper. My students play a "game" which is for grammar/literary terms and they use their ABCD voting cards. I think I might try to incoporate those cards into other aspects of the classroom based on how it worked for you. I'm glad the graphic organizers are working so well for you althought I completely disagree with learning focus in that I believe that learning can take place with or without a graphic organizer and that in fact sometimes they hurt more than help. Overall it sounds like you were really able to engage your students and it also sounds like you were able to apply some differentiaton techniques like you wanted to do. I especially like the creative representation of the personfication images. One thing you could also do for differentiation would be to find some songs that have personfication in them and play them for students and ask them to identify those places where personfication exists. I hope your cold gets better! Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteEllen
Jenna,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're really making some progress and some strides as an English educator. I hope that you've been able to tackle your cold, and I look forward to seeing you in action very soon!
Jenna, I love your lesson plan and I think that is the makings of a great teacher. The fact that you can see your end goal and use a plan to achieve that is thinking ahead. I hope next week is as good as last week and I hope you get rid of that cold too!
ReplyDelete