Friday, March 5, 2010

Blog for Observation #2

Unfortunately (and fortunately) Dr. Mortimore observed one of my IEP classes for her second observation. It is unfortunate because I do still struggle with this class because they are chatty and lower-level learners. But it is fortunate because she saw my “perfect” class the last time.
Overall, the class went fairly well. My lesson was about hyperbole and alliteration. I always try to use “fun” poems when I introduce a term (see some examples below). We also used a word map (like a Frayer) for the term alliteration.
One thing that I found odd was that I thought the students were badly behaved (which is normal for them). But then Dr. Moritmore mentioned that she thought they were “normal” middle school students. So then I had a realization that 1) I’m a very strict teacher and 2) I’m insanely lucky that my two accelerated classes are amazing with class room management and behavior.
Once again Dr. Mortimore didn’t get to see me analyze poems in depth with my class. I used two different (very difficult) poems; “Because I Could Not Stop for Death” by Emily Dickinson and “She Walks in Beauty” by Lord Byron. But, I promise, Dr. Mortimore, that my accelerated classes loved analyzing those poems – and they “got it.” So once again I fail at higher level thinking! However, you learn from your mistakes and Dr. Mortimore saw me first period and I taught the next three classes with higher level thinking!

Bleezer’s Icecream by Jack Prelutsky
I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:

COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jenna... I am nervous for my second observation! It is about two hours away, and it is also for my "low level" students. I made the "mistake" of telling them on Thursday (no school Friday) that Dr. Mortimore would be here to observe me, thinking they'd be prepared to be on their best behavior. Instead, they devised a scheme to dress up and wear and say funny things throughout class. I'm sure it won't really be a problem, but I'm still a little nervous. They're great kids, kind of rowdy, but definitely the most fun class I teach all day. I'm excited to see how this one will go.

    Also, I didn't really say anything to the teacher who created the test because I don't know her well, but I talked to the other teachers from my middle school and we all said about how ridiculous her test was. We saw her test right before lunch, and the teachers from the other middle school took an extended lunch break. This gave my co-op, the other teacher from my school, and me a chance to make up our own questions quickly and implant them on the final. When they came back from lunch we presented them with a finished exam. It made us look like dedicated, hard-working teachers and it produced some high-level questions.

    ReplyDelete