Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week 8

This week’s blog is bittersweet. I have had an amazing experience at Gettysburg M.S. Seriously, there really aren’t words for how much I have grown and how much I have experienced in these eight weeks. I am so lucky to have been placed at such a fantastic school with great resources and technology… and teachers! I have learned so much from my co-op – who is everything that I could have wanted from a mentor – but also from my whole “team” of teachers. I have no doubt that I have met some of the best middle school teachers that I will ever work with.
However, despite all of these good things, I am super excited to move to a high school placement. I think Fannett Metal will be a great second placement because it is vastly different from G.M.S. – from teachers to PSSA scores to different times for periods (block to 50 minutes).
This week I haven’t taught a lot because my co-op was taking back her classes slowly. So, I haven’t taught since Monday but today she had to step out to handle some business. And it was so weird! I just got up and put on my teaching persona – which I didn’t even know I had! I became “Miss Sheaffer” again and just taught – without really thinking. For someone who came in to student teaching thinking that I probably didn’t want to be a teacher once I graduated – I’ve really come to love the students and respect this profession.
And, just as a side note, I saw my first fight this week. There was even blood. A lot of blood. Now I get to see what happens as the administrators deal with this and the teachers attend meetings with parents.
Hope all of you have had an incredible last week! See you at exhibition day!

2 comments:

  1. Jenna,

    It seems you had a paradigm shift through these last few weeks and I am glad that you enjoyed your experiences. I think in the end that is all we have which will prepare us for the future. Whatever you choose to do, I know that will excel. For me no matter what I do it will be with teaching. I wish you luck at your new placement and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blood? How much blood? I know that's an odd thing to start off a comment with but it caught me a little off guard. I'm glad that you've enjoyed your experience so much. It's great that you feel comfortable teaching and that you have a definite teaching persona. Good luck at Fannett Metal!

    ReplyDelete