Thursday, April 8, 2010

Week 4

This has been an interesting week because Mrs. McAllen is away on a trip so I have all of the classes to myself. Like in my last placement when this happened, it is fun to pretend that I am the "real" teacher. Overall, I've had no problems and I've been very lucky. I absolutely love it here at FM. I love the atmosphere and I love the students. Some really great experiences that I've had so far are that the students are very accepting of me and want to know more about me and I want to know more about them. They come to visit with me outside of class to talk about things that we learned in class and about books. Another thing that I really like about the kids is that they tell the truth. Some times this truth isn't pretty like they tell me that something is boring - which I know it is but I have to teach it! But they also say great things like "I really like when you relate this piece to my life" or "I like that you want to know more about us and you care about our interests." My plan for participation and discipline has begun to work, which feels good. My plan from the beginning was to fight my battles when it came to behavioral problems. Period 2 is my "bad" period with eight boys who never shut their mouths. However, at FM, no one supports disciplining of students with detention or with extra work. For example, if a teacher was cussed at and gave a detention, the parent would just call and say that it didn't happen or that the day of detention didn't work for them, and it would be forgotten. So, I knew that I couldn't discipline through the school. The only way I could get anything accomplished would be to somehow develop a sense of respect with the students. So, my plan, as mentioned, was to not freak out and scream and throw fake threats at the students. I would just give them the "no" look when they said or did something bad. And it's funny because some of the boys who always did nothing are starting to want to participate because they see that the rest of the class is having fun. I figure even if I can teach something to 3/4 of them... then I'm still making progress. I'm really enjoying 50 minute periods, I feel like my day goes faster!
That's about all that has been going on here. My life is being bogged down by applying to teaching positions and planning for graduation! Hope all is well with all of you!

3 comments:

  1. That stinks that you can't give students detention. I mean I don't like the idea of overusing it because some kids don't respond but that would be slightly frustrating (especially at first) to essentially have to just let kids get away with whatever. There should be boundaries. I'm glad you are enjoying FM so much. I think we all got pretty good placements which is awesome. Are you going to try for a teaching job then instead of going to grad school right away? Or are you still undecided? Good luck next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,

    If it is one thing I have learned this semester it is how to deal with student behavior over all other things. My school is in a junior high so the ninth have serious isolation issues and tend to act out all the time. I think you are on the right track by picking your battles and to also throw out the image that you are in charge. I have realized yelling only works on drastic situations. Lately, I have been very observant and a simple look at a child will get them to stop talking or looking around the room. Also, with the detention I have also noticed some issues with that. I have a suggestion with you which you make not like, but one that is highly effective. If your school has it, give them lunch detentions instead of detention unless it is a more serious offense. I have found that lunch detentions nip problems in the bud. No student wants to miss talking to their friends and my taking that away makes them realize i you waste our time we will take their free time away. This is just something to think about. Have a great week and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,

    It is amazing how effective "the look" can be when used correctly. It is amazing how the students react when they realize that we, as teachers, care about them and want to learn more about them. I think you are doing a great job! Wish I was there to see you teach! Good luck applying!

    ReplyDelete